Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Review - Magnum, P.I. (TV Series)

Lookie here, another TV series review! This time it Magnum, P.I!

Some people might remember this show, others however might not even know what this is even about!

Back in the day, (1980-1988) there ran a show called, Magnum, P.I. I was not around for the first half but still saw some of them due to my mother who liked this show.

And if you have been wondering about why this guy looks familiar is because he (Thomas Selleck) has been a ZILLION things, 3 Men and a Baby, various Jessie Stone TV movies (Based of the Robert B. Parker novels), a few Rockford Files episodes (this one got me into thrillers as well as Charles's Angels), Quigley Down Under, and was the voice to Cornelius in Meet the Robinsons.

What is this series about? It is about a retired Navy officer who now works for himself as a Privet Investigator. He lives for free in the guest house of a famous writer in exchange for him to test his security system, much to the annoyance of the gentleman (Higgins) that lives there to advance the security so no one can brake in! He also uses his friends (T.C. and Rick) for free rides and food always saying that he will pay them back, some times he does!

Now how did I feel about this show? Well I like it for the time and well, I like crime like shows with hot rods in it! One thing I do have to complain about is in one episode 2 other retirees of the Navy asked Magnum what does 1800 mean. Being in the military they would all know that it meant 6pm and not need to ask, but it was a great way to tell others who might not know what it meant to find out that you just subtract 12.

And the only way I know that is back in the day my little brother was big about guns and military time and would give me the time in that, kind of glad he did for around the world the use this 24 hour time so it was nice to get a head start on it.

Other then that each show was different from the other some did play n things that happened in other episodes but they were small and subtle. I was a little sad that in the pilot there was a girl who was to come back and when she did they would date. Well, that never happens. And really, you couldn't do that for the "sexy" PI would not be free to pursue other beautiful women in shows to come.

I would say that you would do yourself a favor by watching this series for the other 3 main people are in MANY things as well and some of them are well known shows! 
  •  John Hillerman (Higgins) has been in Love Boat, Blazing Saddles, Hawaii Five-O (original), and History of the World: Part One to name a few. 
  • Larry Manetti (Rick) - Hawaii Five-O (2013 remake), JAG, Walker, Taxes Ranger, Battlestar Galactica (1978) 
  • Sadly Roger E.Mosley (T.C.) has not had many long standing roles in anything big I can think of but newer one that he is in is FCU: Fact Checkers Unit and has appeared in a MILLION series as with small roles, Walker, Taxes RangerRoboCop, Love Boat, Rockford Files,  and Sanford and Son.
It was worth it to see all these people in one show!

No comments:

Post a Comment