Saturday, January 26, 2013

Book/Series Review! - Miki Falls

Miki Falls, Volume 4: WinterMiki Falls, Volume 4: Winter by Mark Crilley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I read a series of books -like this one, I tend to judge the series as a whole and at first I thought the way the others were going I was going to wind up being weird and boring! I was thinking that this series was just someone trying their hands on being a manga artist. But in the end I was wrong, this book, the last one, help redeemed some part of that for me!

In the first book I thought this guy has an unique way of drawing that he is putting to make his mangas different, distinctive! First off, he doesn't use a lot of blocks, his pictures tend to bleed together where most tend to have blocks on other blocks or over other pictures. Then the other was the art style itself, it was not all "anime-y" as most mangas try to do, even if it is NOT from Japan. So I liked that he was thinking outside the box on it!

The story, really I would of been happy just to jump into this one and be fine, being that some time has passed between each book. I mean look at the titles! Spring, Summer.... But to truly know how Miki felt and how powerful her love truly is you would have to read the whole thing.

There is where it got me! At first in book #1(Spring), I was like what the heck kind of story is this!? This guy, Hiro, gives and takes love away from people? And there is only a set amount of love in the world because it dies, NEVER to come back? I mean I can SEE were the writer got his idea came from with a world with more divorce rates then ever and people always leaving for something bigger and better sometimes leaving over something small. I mean I can see it but really? I never would of dreamed that one up! And prayed that the writer will redeem himself with this twist in the story. To my happiness he did and made me start to think about my own love/loveless life.

There is one part in book #3(Autumn) where Hiro talk about about the four different types of lovers. Sustainers, Wanderers, Selfers and Neverfinds. From the title of these I thought of myself as the first and last finding out that really Neverfinds are just a Sustainer that lost love and will never love again! <_< That hit me like a ton of bricks. And I think there is were I was really getting into the series wanting to know a bit more on this and hope that Miki would not be a Neverfind.

So here in book 4(Winter), we find these two still running away from the world so that they can love one another in peace. (view spoiler)[ How close they come, well needless to say that they don't make it and this looks bad for these two. Really bad. And knowing that she is a Neverfind makes it all the more harder to think that anything good will happen to them. (hide spoiler)] What makes this one so much better then the other three and makes me want to keep reading the pages again and again was that near the end you see her true power of love! (view spoiler)[And a question that everyone who find true love asked themselves, "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?" And in this final volume we see her answer to this age old question we ask ourselves. And she chose the path I would of if I was her and the guy she loved was the one I fell in love with many years ago. (hide spoiler)] I like the ending! I was so expecting somethings ells by the way the artist was leading it to be and if he did that I was thinking that he could create another series based off of that! He still can, but it is good were he left it. So for the RIPPING emotion that he brought back to me, the creativeness he brought to the art and the story I gave this book high marks!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment