Sunday, November 24, 2019

Little Mermaid Universe Review



I was taking a trip down memory lane with the Little Mermaid on Disney+, why? Growing up this was my favorite movie and story, and has remained one of my favorites. I had no doubt that all the movies were going to be on this new app but was never so excited to see that they had also put the series on the app so I could relive my childhood and find out how bad Ariel's Beginning was.

After watching Ariel's Beginning and putting on the Series to keep walking down memory line I thought I would blog about it from the beginning.

In the late 1980's they made this movie that I had always hope to turn into a Broadway play and live action movie in my lifetime so I could auction for the role of Ariel. I had even made my own fan-fiction with Ariel having a daughter who would meet Aladdin's son and go on her own adventures among other versions of fan-fiction with the world of Ariel and Aladdin.

Needless to say it did happen around the time I could follow that idea I just happen to be in the wrong place and found out about it to late, but that is neither here nor there now.

I honestly don't remember much merch when this show came out other then a few things. Witch was confirmed by my mother since she looked high and low for more merch for my room, like clocks, lamps and such. We did not find that till I was a teenager (who still loved this classic story)



Then one day on ABC I found in the early to mid 90's they made a TV series that I fell in love with! (Aladdin was also a series around the same time) This series had a small back story on how Ariel met Flounder, the friends she made under the sea, showed some of her family life and also had her love for human things while not distorting ANY characters from the 1989 movie. There are many other reasons to love this series but that is just a few.

As I write this blog I had the series playing in the background and I realized how much I remembered by the title alone, some I need the one line descriptions, and so far only a few that I need to watch the first 5 min to remind me.

Somehow this movie picked up steam and in the 2000's Disney made the Little Mermaid II, that would star her daughter and Ariel. I remember watching this thinking that it could of been so much better! I have not re-watched it in a long time and thought about it but I would have way more to write then anyone would want to read on an overview.

I will add that this was my my little sister's favorite for a minuet since she seemed to always like the same things I did and would always go for the child of the character I liked. As an adult she says it was because they where a child like her and she liked them for that among others, and that has since changed. :)

Then after that Disney made another movie (not remembering the
series -obviously) to the origins of Ariel, I see this was the worst I ever saw!!! Not only did it not stay true to the characters but also never really talked about WHY she was banded from the human world, music was never a thought from the series or movie and there is a scene where the family is in a lagoon singing! That was this biggest thing that made me upset about this story, and that was the whole plot of this movie! There was other things that was off from the original story and series.


Not only was the story line and characters was off but so was the animations, they did not do the sisters justice, they would go to bed with the same hair and then "fix" it in the morning when there was nothing to fix.

The room they had layout was also bad, they are princesses they would have their own bed rooms not one like the orphanage in Anastasia and such.

There was so much bad that as the series still plays in the background I see how much better the series was and even the layout of the rooms matched what was in the movie.

I feel that last movie was made by people who just didn't care and wanted to put something out with the title of the Little Mermaid and not doing any research on the story that the Disney Co made for this lovable princess and her world!

I hope the live action movie will not let me down like these additional movies did and the writers do their research on this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment