Sunday, June 21, 2020

Feel the Beat on Netflix movie Review

As I was scanning My good ol' friend Netflix this original movie popped up as a recommendation for me to watch, Feel the Beat.

Being the person I am and the few lucky years I got to learn dance I tend to have a soft spot in my heart for most dance films. This one caught my eye even more then Center Stage did for the premise.

This movie, Feel the Beat is about a down on her luck girl going home after feeling like she failed New York and ends up teaching some girls in her home town to try for her last shot in show biz.

The movie goes on as one would guess, not a lot of twist and turns like a thriller, this is just a simple movie done with a wonderful cast and I loved the guess shots near the end!!!

What makes me connect to this movie is a few things, and some may to the common person seem weird but they are three and no matter how small it is that is what make us, the consumers fall in love with movies, books, and music.

This film has a hand full of little things that it plays off of and one is that when our girl is down her dad tells her she needs cheese. Now, in most films or families we go to soul food, Ice cream, cake, pies, cookies and alcohol. In my family we go to the sweets when one is down, I myself go to the cliche Ice cream I keep in my freezer for me and a bottle of wine. So this "Cheese" thing was very different and my first thought was I bet we are in Wisconsin, ONLY a cheese head would offer that. (sorry if that term offends anyone it is not meant to be a negative thing just to show what they are known for) But at the same time I was surprised since I didn't think people not around there (or the neighboring states) would of known that.So that was fun for me as an Easter egg, for I LOVE when film does something different the big cities.

Another thing is that this film has a death girl in in and does use American Sign Language through half the film. This gives me all the feels! I see that some shows are starting to put that into their shows like the Dragon Prince Netflix and I am so exited to see this group get some face time!


But the big thing that got me was early on in this movie when she comes back from tryouts and she is being forced to face the truth and she then talks to her dad for a brief time. For that scene takes me back, back to when I myself felt like my world was falling a part and had I wasn't sure what to do but I told all my loved ones that I was fine and tried to hide it from the world. In truth I still finding myself doing this but it is a level that pulled me into this film. 

That scene was not only well done by the 2 actors but the writers did a beautiful job on capturing the moment.

Now, I know that this is a movie and you have to have a point the proves the the main character has changed for the better but I also don't believe that the last 15-30 min of the movie  would truly happen that way. But I don't work in Hollywood or New York just small things here and there and indie stuff. 

Check out this film if you have Netflix or find a friend that does! It is a beautiful film and deserves to be seen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment