Thursday, July 10, 2014

Jewelry Boxes

Okay, so either I have this compelling need to post and will post about anything or I like to post about no nonsense things like beds and boxes. X_x

So here it is, when I was out on vacation this past week, I went into a shop and saw a jewelry boxed that I fell in love with and would of taken home if not for the fact that it was cheaply made and would brake easy. Not that I am rough with things, I am just a klutz! But I liked it and might of taken it any who if the lining was in the right color... ie like the broken one at the shop.

I am a person that will shop for YEARS to find the right thing to belong in my collection, ie beds, boxes, shoes... I think one of the few things I will look and grab are plants, books and Asian art. So now that I found the "right box," I took a good long look at the box and it looked easy to make! So I started a quest to look up how to make a box like this one and try to make it only to find what I liked about it was that it was shaped like 2 books laying down covered in a cheap tin to look like a box made from India.

So now that I know what I like about it I thought why not make one that has all of the elements I like in a box to mix with the shape of the box?

Out of the two here that looks like a stack of books I feel, "Less is More" when it comes to these boxes. I like the idea of a mirror in the lid and I like the opening of the book for a cove that is in the bigger one but I think the spine might be easier. But neither one has the try that expands out of the try.



Then there was a wall mounted one that has almost made me get the cheep little box and go for this one! I still really like it and might end up one day getting it but to me this belongs in the bath room and I do not had the wall space in my current location for it and not sure if or when I will.







So now I know what I am looking for I thought I could make one very close to the idea of the box I fell in love with. But instead of using a tin to cover I would shape it like 2 books!
  • So to make this box I deduced that if I made 2 boxes, about the size I would like then make 4 trays about the1/4th the size and about as half as deep as the main box. 
  • Then either get a thick cardboard (or a thin thing of wood) and make the sectional to go across the front half to use as a base for the trays and glue/nail them in.
  • In this box there are 2 small pieces that stick up for a ring/bracelet holder can be made and put a notch in the middle and get a dowel-rod cut to length of box and put 2 small nails in the ends to fit in the small cuts in the 2 small walls. (No joke, that is what they did!)
  • Now for the lining I would either just line the bottom and the dividers or cut a bit into the wood to line it there and make the wood look like it is the trim or just polish the whole thing if it all the same wood!
  • For the lid I would either put in a mirror to fill it or I would put the lining in it (maybe a small mirror) and put in a pocket on the bottom half and small hooks in the top to hang jewelry with it. 
  • Then to attached the 2 trays I would use a thin metal (like the one they used) attach from the middle of the top tray to the end of the bottom tray and the middle of the bottom try to the divider lining up the other side to do the same all with small nails and to the same to the other tray


Now these last two are more of what I wish I could do if I was good at making things and had the space/time. I really fell in love with the Tardis for in this picture there are nothing but nerd jewelry in it! Rebel Alliance charms, Thor's Hammers charms, Batman earnings and so forth! (And in truth I could possibly make the Tardis like I would make the box above! Maybe that will be a post to come! ~_^) All and all I love the owl with the books it seem either very Potter-ish or very booky to me, it is for pure decor.



 
Dezign Zoo Animal Emporium



No comments:

Post a Comment