Monday, January 19, 2015

Star Trek - Quick & Easy Cosplay!

Okay, so in my town they are going to have STAR TREK: MIND-SIFTER showing at one of the theaters and the guy who wrote it will be there and if for every person who shows up 'Trek-y' or in OTHER sci fi cosplay he will donate a set amount UP TO $500 to help out for reading where I am currently living.

Am I this much of a Trek-y to do this? Not really, I LOVED the original one with Spock and James Kirk. Have seen a few of the other ones here and there but not a full out Trek-y like I would say I am to.... Anime? Naw, okay so I am not a the why to anything I can think of at this time!

But I do love Science Fiction and the original one so yes I will see it, I will move things around so I can see it but am I going to dress up to see this for a cause? Sure, not because of  being a Trek-y or for the honrable cause but becasue I am a nerd who is a theatre person and LOVES to dress up when the situation comes by!

So this got me thinking... How can I do a REALLY fast STAR TREK costume? Sure it was any other kind a sci fi thing but I would do something from STAR TREK. I mean really, I am GOING to see it! So as I am thinking about it I think of the crazy aliens that I have seen in Deep Space, Voyager, and Next Generation and my friend who told this to me was talking about it and asking me for ideas for something fast. Then all at once it hit me! Go back to the roots! They are SUPER easy to do this time of year when there is no costume shop to be found and the hardest part will be that badge on there close! So here it is my QUICK & EASY guide to a STAR TREK costume in the middle of January!




First off you need to know a few basic before you pick out the color shirt/ short dress you are going to wear what I had NEVER noticed till looking up how to make my own badge is that there are different ones for different positions! Now if you didn't know that the color of shirt tells people where you sanctioned you might of just randomly picked out a color and did the COMMAND one being that is was Kirk has
The colors are...
  • Mustard-Yellow (Comand - these are the people who are flying the craft.... yeah kinda vague in ST)
  • Baby Blue (Science / Medical - Spock is science and Bones is the medic. Same color, same signage in original series)
  • Red -strait up! (Engineer / Security - Scotty is an engineer and NEVER dies where as EVERY OTHER Red Shirt is security and DIES! Ura, I think she is the only security that lives. Mainly cause she BARELY leaves the craft but hey what ever works!)
These are the symbol with there colors to help out and so you know what field you are doing I also have a picture of the field jobs.
Now that you have chosen your field and have gotten your shirt or dress we move on to decorating it! The women outfits tend to very a bit more then the men's via neck line or around it but for the most part there is a black neck line that you could take a turtleneck, a T-mock, or Dickie to were under or black ribbon to sow / fabric glue it on there!

So with that done move on to the cuffs and badge... I would start with the cuffs just because! So I found these images online to help in rounding up the options then staring at various pictures!



There are a few ways I would go about doing the cuffs, one is to get that gold like spool of non-ribion but sold like it (can't think of it's name) and sow that on in dashes and lines or to use GOLD GLUE (used on fabrics) and glue it!

Way, Way to easy right? Okay cocky, now the badge! Again, you can use some type of fabric or felt and cut it out and BLACK FABRIC GLUE to make it stay OR take your gold glue and glue it out for those afraid of sowing. Now I think to glue it one might be harder just for the fact that you ARE gluing a picture on a shirt! I might get wax paper put a paper drawing under and glue out the gold then take it and glue it on the shirt with black... Might just easier then fighting the shirt!

There you have it! Quick & easy STAR TREK: the Original series cosplay outfit!

Uhm? Pants and shoes!? You can find those in your local Dresser or Closet!

Females: Black Tights and Black Boots (don't have to be Go Go not everyone can wear one do to big caffs!) You could get away with black heels if you wish, but boots is what was in the show!

Men: Black Pants and Black Boots. Could use black shoes and not boots for the same reason a woman might use heels.

Good luck my fellow nerds, Live Long and Prosper!


No comments:

Post a Comment